Banner

Wednesday, February 4, 2015

A Few of My Favorite Things February

http://teachingtrio.blogspot.com/2015/02/favorite-things-linky-february.html
This is my first time joining Teaching Trio's A Few of My Favorite Things linky; I'm excited!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Tykes

My eldest came for a visit this past weekend and what did we do? Play games. We are a game-playing family! So, I thought I would list my three favorite games. I truly cannot pick my top three, so this will be the three we had the most fun with this past weekend.

1. Rook. Okay, any card game will do. My kids were playing cards before they were walking! We love Old Tarnation, Spades, Hearts, and you can't forget Skip-Bo.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Tykes
We even taught our exchange student to play cards. She practiced and practiced all month until she finally learned how to shuffle; she was so proud!
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Tykes


2. Pictionary. An oldie but goldie. We play a homemade version of Pictionary. (Yes, I am a tightwad.) It's amazing to see how partners work with each other. I have seen a person guess when all their partner drew was a line! Same with Buzzwords but wait, I need to stay on task.

3. Brick. My husband and I learned this game BK – Before Kids. Now, I think it is called Farkle and while Brick rules are a bit different from Farkle, it is basically the same game.
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teaching-Tykes

Why not have a Family (or Friends) Game Night this weekend?  You'll be glad you did.





9 comments:

  1. I think I have to start doing this with my husband (my son is 10 months old and would probably just eat the cards! lol) I love games but have drifted away from them, thank you for this post! Now I'm off to find the rules to Rook and Brick! :)

    Linda
    The Purple Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be playing games with your son before you know it. I bet he is precious!
      And yes, learn how to play Rook and Brick. Rook you will need more than 2 players, but you and the hubby can have fun with Brick. Enjoy!!

      Delete
  2. Great choices for your favorites! My family loves playing games too.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have SO many games at our house. The boxes are a bit torn or missing, but they are still very much played.

      Delete
  3. I haven't played Rook in years!! Sounds like you had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Growing up, our community was very close-knit and held Rook tournaments often. I loved those times and have carried on the tradition of Rook playing with my kids.
      SO much fun; I hope you get to play again soon.

      Delete
  4. We love to play games at our house too! I've never played Rook though. I'll have to add that to our collection. We play Skip-Bo a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All four of my children learned to count to twelve by playing Skip-Bo - honestly. Our exchange student this past summer loved Skip-Bo so much, we gave her a pack to take back to Japan.

      Delete
  5. We love playing games too. We often don't find time for them until we are on vacation. So busy these days.

    ReplyDelete