Banner

Saturday, August 9, 2014

You Oughta Know About... Wacky Holidays!


Everyone has heard “Every day's a holiday” but it is true! There is a holiday for every day of the year. I am not talking about Thanksgiving or Christmas; I'm talking about Pony Express Day, Dictionary Day, and National Day of the Cowboy.

There is sooo much you can do with this idea! These holidays have websites, books, crafts, and food that perfectly align to their celebration.

Here is a great book to get the ball rolling.



Author: J. Patrick Lewis
Illustrator: Anna Raff
Publisher: Candlewick
Publication Date: March 2013


Celebrating these zany holidays provide life-learning lessons, engage students, promote creativity, and provide hands-on learning opportunities.

Besides, who doesn't love to celebrate!




6 comments:

  1. I just love this! Sometimes you have a few minutes to fill here and there and this would be a great start to a discussion :)

    Mrs. Plemons' Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great book...thank you for sharing. I happen to think rats are really interesting animals. I can't wait to get this and see what other holidays there are that I didn't know about. Teaching Science With Lynda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynda, there are sooo many zany holidays.
      Hope you stop back by and check out the zany holidays I blog about.
      Too much fun!
      Lori

      Delete
  3. I was so excited to find your post for the You Oughta Know Blog Hop, I'm your newest follower. I've pinned you too!
    ~Fern
    Fern Smith's Classroom Ideas!
    Fern Smith's Pinterest Boards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern, thanks for stopping by and for leaving your info, too, and for pinning.
    Awfully sweet of you!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete